Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tonight I'm Gonna Get Some...

Tonight I'm going to get some.  I just know it.

When you're a kid, and you listen carefully when they least expect it, you hear adults murmuring about not getting enough. How deprived they are.  Of course you don't understand - you don't really get what they keep talking about.

When you're a teenager, you get plenty of it, there's no such thing as enough.  Any time of day, any time of night - works for you.  And then of course your mom busts into your bedroom and ruins everything.

As an adult, things ease off.  You are getting a civilized amount - if required, you can go without for a day or two, but never more than that.  You're able to get as much as you feel you need.

Then come the desperate years when all of the sudden, you're getting NONE.  A snatched bit here & there, but the void - the lack - becomes your total obsession.  You find yourself thinking about it all day, all night.  Sometimes you think you honestly might do it right there on the street - it's that bad.

They're intense, those years.  But it eases off, the obsession, and before you know it, you're getting enough some weeks, not enough in others.  You understand you won't die if you don't get it, but you also understand now there is nothing else under the sun that makes you lust in the same way.

...
...
...

I'm talking about sleep.  You got that, right? I'm talking about sleep.  Get your minds out of the gutter.

*****

This post is linked as part of Momalom's Five for Ten series - the fourth prompt was, obviously, LUST.

20 comments:

Linda Pressman said...

Here via momalom. Very funny. I thought, it's got to be sleep! What else can we get all we want of when we're little and can't get enough of when we're adults? Of course. Kids never appreciate it...

Cheryl said...

Ah...I definitely have a severe case of sleep lust!

I wrote my post, but don't have the balls to hit the "post" button. So now I must re-write..

CaraBee said...

Oh sleep, that elusive and sweet commodity. How did I not realize how good I had it before? Why did I not luxuriate in it more thoroughly? I tell myself that one of these days, someday, I will have my nights and my mornings all to myself again. A girl can dream.

Kisha said...

Ha! I love it. I would definitely agree that sleep is on my top five lusted after items list. I love your creative spin on it!

Stopping by from Momalom:)

Rudri said...

I love the twist. Yes, I think we all lust after sleep. So nicely done. Over from Momalom.

Erica said...

Well done! I know I'm nit getting enough... And I can't think straight because it's always on my mind.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! I toyed with the idea of writing about my lust for sleep. But I would never have done such a great job. Really, really enjoyed this this morning (on Monday when I feel particularly tired).

LoveFeast Table said...

My husband just asked me what I wanted to do on our 16th anniversary. I replied, "Pitch a tent somewhere, sleep, sit by the fire, sleep some more, and do absolutely nothing!" It is a hot commodity around here!
(great post!)
~kristin

dianeswords.wordpress.com said...

sleep. that's a good one. personally, I was thinking ICE CREAM. seriously. goes to show how bad i'm getting. but definitely sleep is a very very close second. great post

MiniMe Mom said...

You had me going. I thought- wow, she is a BOLD writer.

Sleep. So true.

hezro said...

*hehe* Oh yes, sleep is exactly what came to mind first. :)

Cathy Reaves said...

That's awesome! Nice ending! And, you are so right - never enough!

BigLittleWolf said...

Also here from Momalom. And you got that right! Sleep! (Even with teens, you're still not getting enough.)

Funny post!

One Photo said...

Here via Momalom - you had me there, I thought this was going to end very luridly, but no, it was just brilliant instead. Love it!

Missy said...

Perfectly executed! And am I ever with you... most of my fantasies involve getting some. Uninterrupted. All night long.

katdish said...

Snort! The sad part? I was thinking it was about sleep the whole time.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Heeheeheee…I have a huge lust for sleep too. There's never enough of it around my house. :-)

kate said...

this post is GREAT! love, love, love your humor. :)

and so very true...

Unknown said...

As a woman who loves me some sleep, I so knew that's what you were talking about. Love it!

Sarah said...

Oh yes, I got it. And mostly due to the fact that I got NINE HOURS OF SLEEP LAST NIGHT. Oh how glorious. And is it wrong of me to just want more, more, more...

Love this post. So very !!!

Sarah

Related Posts with Thumbnails