Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Stillness {Day 19}: Do you have to be still to be, y'know, Still?


So yesterday I called out the Activity People. The folks who consciously structure a huge amount of busy-ness into their lives. 

This morning I got an email from one of my most favorite Activity People, the one who finally got me off the couch and running.  She'd been catching up on the blog, and right off the bat, she asked me:  "do you have to actually be still to be Still?

No.  Oh my, no.

The Stillness arrives in the strangest of places.  It arrives in the middle of a long run, when you realize you've forgotten the preschool playgroups, the vacation-time bills, the Make Sure I Remembers.  It arrives in the early morning as you switch on the first lamp in a dark kitchen, and make a small circle of light in which to enjoy your coffee.  It is absolutely there as you stomp in puddles, play tag in the backyard, or throw yourself into a game of pickup soccer with friends.

These are just my small moments.  You will find your own.  You can find your own, anyway, if you want.  The quieting of your mind has nothing to do with physical stillness.  It has everything to do with awareness, and gratefulness, of where we are. In that very moment.






1 comment:

Mrs. Pear Tree said...

While I do understand and agree with everything you just said, I just feel the need to add (whilst sprawled out on my couch, kids FINALLY asleep, house silent) that there's nothing like physical stillness after - or even in the middle of - a full or just busy with nothing day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails