Sunday, April 3, 2011

TV? We Don't need no Stinkin' TV!

Alternative post title:  Oops I Did it Again.  You can read about my previous experimentation with this here.

*****

One request.  There's only been one request in 48 hours.

This from the three kids who start every day with GoodMorningMomCanIwatchashow?  The kids who happily could spend 3 hours in front of the tv.  The kids who pick fights with each other all day long, but manage to compromise over what tv show and when because they know it'll get switched off in a hot minute if they fight about it.

Things generally get out of control around Christmas - extra vacation time, movie classics on TV, slow mornings, lazy (or burned out) parents.   By February, after all the snow?  We are at all time highs for viewing hours.

And I've had enough.

April is Turn Off The TV Month, I told 'em.  Didn't even try to sell it as a science experiment this time.  Just told 'em - the good weather's coming, and I'm sick of hearing about tv.  Don't ask.

It's been 48 hours.  They aren't crawling up the walls, they aren't locking themselves to my kitchen island in protest, they aren't even fighting with each other more.

We did it last year, in the middle of Snowmageddon - 28 days of no tv, no computer games, no sneaky time on Mommy's iPhone.  Spending April the same way? Total cake walk.

She says.

*******

This is posted for Stream of Consciousness Sunday on all.things.fadra   Just the trick to knock out the Sunday Night [With No TV] Blues.


#SOCsunday

9 comments:

Alexandra said...

We do this one week a month.

The kids have become used to it.

And I enjoy it...so many opportunities to bond as a family are present, when the TV is knocked out.

Opportunities that never would have existed, if the tube had been on.

The Aums Mama said...

What a refreshing post to read! Good for you to make the decision and commit to a month of no TV! This is coming from a mom of 4 who doesn't own a TV...and visiting from SOC Sunday!

Unknown said...

OMG, you are my hero. I am addicted to TV and deeply ashamed of it. My daughter is following in my footsteps and I need to quit. Ugggg. But thanks.

all.things.fadra said...

Okay, you unplugged people are crazy. I have given up TV unintentionally. I spend more time being entertained on my computer. But with a 4 year old, who just happens to be home sick today and laying on the couch, I couldn't imagine having NOTHING. Then again, he is an only child. But I do try to limit it. Too much TV and computer time will "rot your brain" as I tell him.

Rose West said...

Down with the television! Not that I have anything against TV; it's just I can't stand more than an hour of it. It just seems pointless to me. That's great you're doing that for your kids!

Rose West said...

Down with the television! Not that I have anything against TV; it's just I can't stand more than an hour of it. It just seems pointless to me. That's great you're doing that for your kids!

Rose West said...

Down with the television! Not that I have anything against TV; it's just I can't stand more than an hour of it. It just seems pointless to me. That's great you're doing that for your kids!

Carin said...

i would consider no tv...but then what would i do for mindless entertainment every night? you are brave.

Sarah said...

I'm with you. Although 2 of 3 are currently watching Scooby Doo as I browse blogland for the first time in months, I, too, have declared April a turn DOWN the tv. Maybe not OFF altogether, but down and less and...I think I'm just scared of NONE at all. Regardless of my own indecision, go YOU. YAY.

Related Posts with Thumbnails