Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Oh the places you'll go!

aha... see there?  I tricked you.  You clicked over thinking you'd get a sweet post-reunion recap, didn't you?  Well that's coming friends, but tonight I'm trying desperately to write something for my fiction class, and that's not going quite as smoothly as I was pretending it would.  


There's a blog carnival going on, all about Adventure, at Peter Pollock's site, and I would highly recommend you go over there and be an armchair traveller for a few minutes.  As for me, I'm giving y'all a repost, but until I can pick just which of the many adventures Mr Nilsen's dragged me along on, this just about says it all:

ADVENTURE

Say you're a girl who likes a routine.  Say you're the kinda gal who might run the same route every day for 2 years, just because you love knowing exactly how many miles you've run, how fast you've run it, and knowing right when the hills can be expected.

Say you're the kind of person who loves to know what's happening today, tomorrow, and the next day.  The kind of person who tries not to cringe when an acquaintance casually says, "Oh, we'll just figure it out when we get there."  What? No plan? Ack ack ack ack ack.

You may be the kind of person who is mortified by these tendencies.  You may wish daily that you were a fly-by-the-seat-of-yer-pants kinda gal.  You may wish that it didn't give you an ulcer to be lost in a strange city, or to rushing for a flight, unsure if you'll make it in time.    You may watch people who operate without a wristwatch with envy, wondering if it EVER bothers them not to know what time it is, or if they're late, or how many minutes it is until their next appointment.

It's funny how life works.  Because say you're that kind of person, and you fall in love with a person who approaches life in exactly the opposite way:  someone who always flies by the seat of their pants, someone who never knows where their watch/wallet/keys are, but lives in faith that these items will turn up eventually.  Someone who hates to brush their teeth the same way twice, much less drive the same road, run the same course, or wear the same shoes two days in a row.

These two opposites might get married, might delight in this particular element of opposite-ness, and might make a darn good life from it.

And then might come a cosmic event where the kids had a day off from school, the Farmor would be in town from Norway, and the forecast for the beach would be sunny sunny sunny. 

Then the Seat of Pants Man may come up with the bright idea of taking off for the ocean - driving into the night, and then spending tomorrow at the beach.  Mrs OCD might struggle mightily with ditching her schedule, with leaving all of her routines at home, with just "throwing sleeping bags into the car" and driving off towards the coast. 

But she will do it. 

Because man oh man does she love the adventures that Mr Seat of the Pants comes up with.  She loves that he has passion for possibilities as-yet-undiscovered, and loves that he ignores (in the nicest way possible) her protestations of practicality. 



So we're off, dear readers.  Off on our next adventure.  Look for photos of the Not-Plan soon.


5 comments:

Emily said...

I love this! I am married to mr. fly by the seat of your pants and parts of me are that way too. But I hate to be late for anything and hate not knowing what time it is. I am 15 minutes early for everything. But I stink at routine and am so a "we'll figure it out when we get there!" kind of gal :)

And the mother hen in me so wants to remind you how unsafe it is to run the same route all the time. ;) For next week when you get to take the boot off!

katdish said...

I am mrs. fly by the seat of your pants. My husband is much more practical and structured. Of course, he's an engineer, so it sort of goes with the territory. I'm pretty sure if we were both as adventurous as I am we'd be living in a van down by the river. Balance is a good thing.

Helen said...

For some reason I was thinking of when I used to drive to work, I'd take the same route every day. Then one day a new stop sign was added on my route. I blew it three times (uncaught) before determining that I needed to change my route to one where I'd naturally pay better attention and not blow a stop sign.

I'm glad you had fun on your adventure!

carin said...

you guys (or your husband) amaze me with your spontaneity and your CUTE BEYOND CUTE kids! how funny is konka? so funny!

a joyful noise said...

During our married life, we have had some exciting adventures, but as we retired, our main adventure is going grocery shopping! :-)
I am happy you have the attitude to "go for it" when your hubby has an impromptu idea.
He definitely needs your support, and your children need these outings, even the short ones.

Related Posts with Thumbnails