Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's Official: I'm a Twit

So I dived into the Twittersphere today.  I tweeted? I twote?

I can't make it work.  Not at all. I mean, I get the rough idea, that I write inane things about my life in exchange for inane information about your life, and we feel like we know what's going on in each other's lives and blogs.  I get that. 

But how do you find who to follow? Why do you want to follow 587 different peoples' lives?  Do you really want to know what's going on in 587 lives? 





I want to be New Media, folks.  I promise.  I love blogging, I love that you're all out there, and that I can write the silly things I've always written but that now I can do it, publish it, and make all nine of you laugh.  I like Facebook, in fact I'm a little bit obsessed, but I've always joked that Facebook is like the old person's Twitter - there's only so much in my life that's worth updating the world about.

I guess I'm just a Luddite at heart.  Me and my fountain  pens, my aerogrammes, and my compulsive collection of fine stationery products.

So guess what I did, my first night on Twitter? I played with ink colors, and background 'paper' and fonts.  You can take the girl out of the stationery shop, but you can't take the stationery obsession out of the girl.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Welcome to the Twitterverse! You didn't happen to mention what your Twitter handle was, because I'm TOTALLY ready to follow you.

Confession: I have two Twitter accounts. I have Twitter applications. I have multiple apps on my phone. I've tweeted, linked, @ replied and twitpic'ed. I'm all up in the New Media.

Cilie's sis in Vancouver said...

Did you ever read Roald Dahl's The Twits? :) (I'm sure my sister's namesake would love his books, btw!) That's what I think of when I occasionally go on Twitter. It has is uses, but I have only so many hours in a day!

Heather of the EO said...

I think you might like it. It's all about the banter. Conversations back and forth, beyond just what a person is doing.

You're good with wit. Twitter is all about wit. It's even in the name.

You'll figure it all out. :)

Lori-Anne said...

Yeah, I've been on for several months and I CAN'T get into it. Maybe I'm not witty enough. Probably I'm too wordy. I'm not as infatuated with others tweets as with FB updates, either. I just do it as a marketing tool but even that's pointless b/c 3/4 of my followers are FB friends AND fans of the Pear Tree fan page and already get updates twice. So YAY!! You get to read about new posts THREE times :( But I'm trying...

Harold of Scaggsville said...

Yeah, Facebook I get. Twitter, I don't get. I guess if all my FB friends were following me on Twitter it would make more sense, but if they all follow me already on FB, why do I need Twitter. Plus, many strange people I don't know are following me. @skaggsville in case I ever return

Related Posts with Thumbnails