Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful: for Family, Trees, and Friends

In the middle of handing out mini-Snickers and Reeses Cups this Halloween, I was busy snipping pieces of kraft paper into a vague sort of tree outline:


It's our Thankful Tree.  I ran across the idea somewhere in the blogosphere last year, and it was a big hit here in the Yellow House.  The concept is simple:  each night, we go around the table and each family member names one thing they're thankful for.  If certain 2nd graders insist, they are given rights to the coveted brown Sharpie marker to write their own leaf.

The 2010 tree was extremely prolific:  as the leaves tumbled off the oaks, maples and poplars in our backyard, the paper leaves grew and grew on the Thankful Tree.  Some of my happiest moments this month have been craning my neck to check out all the funny little things my kids are grateful for.  Except, not so funny:  many of the adults' and kids' leaves turn up with some version of  'grandparents' or 'my friends.'



Ahh, friends.   Today on Classic Play I am guest posting all about a Friends Thanksgiving - the meaning of a holiday spent with The Other Kind of Family.   Let us never forget the gift of our families, crazy as they might be, but also?  Keep those friendships on your Thankful Tree.  There's nothing like 'em.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely a lump in the throat musing. Wonderful.

Alexandra said...

I adore this.

Definitely filing away for next year. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Varda said...

Thanks for the lovely reminder, friend that I value.

I was so happy to have something new of yours to read. Haven't seen you around much lately, guess life has been busy. Oh, pesky interfering life, how you get in the way of our writing... about life!

Love to you & thinking of you always.

Related Posts with Thumbnails